Saturday, December 31, 2011

Gift Registry

Wow.  Why is this so difficult?!?!?  

Obstacles:  
  • I've been on my own since I was 17, so I have quite a bit of what I need already.
  • Because we are adults, when we need something new, we buy it.
  • Brandon & I live in an itty-bitty apartment that can barely contain us (and our massive movie collection), never mind any more household goods.
However, I am expected to register for wedding gifts.  I get it and I certainly appreciate that loved ones are so eager to buy gifts for Brandon and I, but, wow.  It sure is one of the most difficult parts of the wedding planning I've encountered so far.  I was talking to a friend the other day and mentioned, with a little bit of frustration, that I had to work on my bridal registry.  He replied, "Doesn't that mean pick what presents you want?"  Well, yes, yes it does.  But, where do I start?  What do I want?  (And let's not even get into the guilt associated with picking out things for other people to buy for me...)

Brandon and I have decided to register at Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond.  (I'd love to also do IKEA, but they don't even have the option.)  Also, we've thought about doing something like Honeyfund where we can register for cash towards our honeymoon, down payment on a house, etc.  Is that tacky?

So, I have been perusing these stores and websites.  Probably the most difficult thing of all has been picking out new dishes.  We finally settled on a Corelle set after deciding it didn't matter if they were "cheap", they're damn near unbreakable!  But then, do I register for all of the matching accessories?  Or is that overkill?  Do I really want that print all over the kitchen?  Or should I just find something that tastefully coordinates?  

And what about the other rooms?  What color schemes should we go with for each room?  (How lucky that we only have a bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen.)

At this point, I am never going to let these registries go "live" because I am going to be in  a perpetual state of editing them.  

1 comment:

  1. Loving the Honeyfund thing! Its a perfect idea for you two! Also have you seen if there is a WISH LIST type thing at IKEA.com?
    For the dishes I would do the coorsinating thing. dont know what print your talking about, but too much of anything is not a good thing. And registering for all the stuff you want is good. Having a WIDE veriety for ppl to pick through works our well for every wallet.
    When It comes to everything else just keep in mind that you guys will not be in that apt forever. So MAYBE sicking with cute things you love/need would be better for the living room and bedroom then trying to keep to themes. I have learned that sometimes your ideas for what you want to do with a room changes alot when you move. But what do I really know, nothing in my house is coordinated. lol

    ReplyDelete